Presentation of the commune  

The commune in a few words




You should be aware that Arsac had feet in the water it has y 50 million years. If nature had not of its own when formed the chain of the Alps, it would perhaps today in a village where tourism and fishery there would be very developed thanks to the huge Lake that was roughly the Moulines bridge until Saint Paulien. But an umpteenth motion of the Earth's crust was pass this pastoral landscape to leave the place terrain a little bit injured but which is still enjoyable.

Having had the feet in the water, not us has not much arranged in geological terms. At this time of sediments have accumulated up to the bottom of the Lake. These are clay sands from the old stand on which were water erosion. Which means in other term that here at Arsac we all know what is clay.



The clay on the municipality

There is a specific vocabulary for each type of clay. Farmers use the term "high ground" to designate a claystone land but with a certain land value. Places with reference to the clay has also designated as for example the lands white at Lantriac.  This clay was also a small little since it was a lime kiln operated on the town and in particular to the terrace. Today it is the name of the last House which is out of the terrace amount the Monastier.


The red clay it was used for repeat outbreaks of wood furnaces. The oldest would look there are of course more than thirty years, this red clay in a very small Lode found just below the Brives CROs. At the bottom of this language red clay which is rich in iron, delay a ferrugineuse water. Many of us know the salt Fontaine is no more or less the resurgence of this water loaded iron and has a salty and slightly tangy taste.




In terms of habitat, it should be aware that there are caves housed an important camp of Néandertaliens in the terrace or may be more Homos sapiens (man of Cro-Magnon). In any case furniture dating from the bronze age therefore 4000 years ago, there was discovered.  Albert Boudignon in one of his works that we can find at the library of le Puy wrote in 1850 there has had over 100 caves. But in time, erosion and especially rock falls did that today ' today it remains a small twenty. That one said crosses the plateau of the field to stand out at Rochaubert.

Of course, it goes without saying that the caves have been the playground of many children.



The Clausel

If I repeat wire history, and sorry to still talk about the terrace, but you might have observed on many cards is mentioned Le Clausel. Once and for people who are native always now village, there is the entrance to the village by mounting the Monastier Clauzel and the terrace. Clauzel term referred the place of the graveyard through age at the time of Charlemagne and the Oppidums.

The oppidums corresponded to a territory which then took the name of Viguerie in 877 become Baronneries divided into Mandements.


The parish in the municipality

Before the French revolution in 1789, there was not comparable to the common identity. The smallest administrative level in France was the parish, and there were approximately 60,000 for only 25 million inhabitants at the time. Parishes self-identified around a church and a group of surrounding houses. They did not have the same powers as Commons today. There was however a group of people who ran the community buildings. They met when there were decisions to be taken in respect of the community as a whole. The priest had the burden to keep registers of civil status.

It is in the wake of 14 July 1789 was born the first common that of Paris. It will be the end of this same année1789 that the country is officially organized into departments, districts (which would later become the arrondissements) and municipality. Commons délimiteront wholesale as parishes. A commune equal a parish.


This is important because it should be noted that a century and a half after, one of the first deliberations of new City Council of Arsac was to buy a building for the Church. It does not conceived strong a commune without his Church.

Then the municipality bought an old farm, and they have transformed the cowshed and the barn in Church as it is currently. The residential portion was reserved for the priest to the departure of the abbé Tournayre housing. Today it is a rental.

The Bell Installer invoices are in the archives was a donation of Brives to Bouzols and De Sinety to Rohac family. It has a name, it is called Henriette.



The birth of the commune

The first town hall was installed on the second floor of this same housing adjacent to the Church to be transferred in the premises of the former School of Arsac.

To return to the creation of the commune of Arsac, we have to say that its empowerment has not been without difficulty. The municipality of Coubon-Arsac had 2200 inhabitants at this time. It was the most extensive and most populated of the Department.

The desire to be stand-alone had originated before 1926 people Arsac it must be said that the village is located on a very old road from le Puy to the Monastier and to the beyond passing through Peyrard Rhone Valley. The Velay States did prepare the ground in 1761, and it was delivered in 1764. 8 July 1900 Lantriac Mayor called l ' enlargement of the path between the commune of Coubon to Lantriac. Arsac was thus at a crossroads of different paths. Trade and crafts were flourishing. It is for this reason presumably people wanted their independence.

When it took the decision of separation in June 1926, opinions were of course shared. The project has been adopted with a meadows voice.

The main difficulty was well on the definition of the boundaries between the two towns. Then where I'll be somewhat chauvin, by saying that we at Arsac this we'll well agreed to follow the natural boundaries were the Laussone, the Loire and Maniore Creek. It is thus kept on Arsac Darne at the time was a very important factory of spinning mill. Therefore there was an economic issue size. But after no doubt many heated debates, the boundaries are defined otherwise and the plant has remained on the commune of Coubon.



Arsac today

Then Arsac today extends over 1200 hectares with 10 separate hamlets, Faure, Avits, Boiroux, Bouzols, Rohac, la Terrasse, Cluzel, Villaret, Conche and part of the Chambon. The altitude varies from 750 850 metres. It is 7/8 km from the Puy. Of course, common neighbours are Coubon, Monastier, Lantriac and Saint Germain.

We are in a transition between the mountain area of the Mézenc and basin of le Puy. The commune is traversed by the Laussonne River and Maniore Creek. We have two abstraction of drinking water Rohac and la Terrasse. Today to address larger needs, the network is strengthened by a supply of water coming from the Alambre.

We are a common rurbaine where the population increased between 1990 and 2006 and it has doubled in 30 years. There are today Arsac 1100 inhabitants.

The price of the land to build, time moving to the workplace, its geographic location that allows to go as easily by Brives Puy Taulhac, close to Saint Germain is a large pool of job and simply landscape and the environment in the rural character are favouring the choice of many young households to install Arsac elements.

There is an associative fabric with over 27 associations in 2009. We have no industrial activity but an artisanal and commercial activity quite representative. We have a multiple rural making bread and grocery store, a bar, an agricultural General and agricultural and dealer of equipment mechanics garage, a work company public, a landscape and big fifteen different trades artisans.

Agricultural activity is important even though since 1979 it has risen from 26 holdings to fifteen today.  However 80 % of the municipality is in agricultural area. It is in the area of le Puy green lens AOC.

It should be noted that there was once of many small vineyards which are easily found trails throughout the municipality. It is in approached not a high wine route but rather a piquette exceeded not 8/9 degrees.



Tourism in the tourism level, commune wants to sign up for term in the movement initiated by the Department and the agglomeration community.  Two marked walking trails pass through the municipality. During the tourist season is often groups starting on these roads with donkeys bâtés of Marcel and Gaëlle Exbrayat outbound on the road to Stevenson.

There is also the castle of Bouzols which is a private property. It attracts many photographers and passing tourists. Also its owner is working on a project opening with can be organized visits term. This castle is impressive: this is the reserve of water cut in the rock, or the fact that each stone engraved initials of the cutter or towers which are truly majestic Interior views or even the small chapel.





In conclusion, I would say that Arsac is a start-up in the common category. It is experiencing a very rapid evolution. It is therefore to anticipate and accompany these changes in an approach more consistent as possible. As we could see our area was occupied by men for a very long time. They have left us a territory with a lot of potential. AT our work to preserve for future generations. I think it absolutely find consensus to maintain sustainable agricultural activity. It sustains many families. It contributes to the charm of our environment and above all it allows you to maintain traditional culture.

Excessive urbanization would transform a catastrophic manner our space. We must therefore move towards an economy of the territory. The concept of sustainable development will take all its meaning. It must articulate objectively the social, environmental and economic. We manage are as much more easily if everyone well become aware that we are only borrowers of our territory and finally on an infinitely small period to humanity.

I shall end by saying simply that it is our collective responsibility that will depend on the future.



Excerpt from the speech by Thierry MOURGUES, Mayor of the commune of 80 years of the commune on 14 September 2008.

© 2017 mairie arsac en velay